About This SiteMike Reilley is a graduate journalism student at DePaul University. This is his blog for Reporting for Converged Newsrooms.
WelcomeThis is Mike Reilley's Online Journalism I website. Follow him on Twitter at @journtoolbox.
Tag Cloud2016 2016 Olympics Alexis Pelayo Ali Trumbull animals Ashley Boll Barack Obama basketball BreakingTweets Cafe Too Caitlin Hacker Camelia Rodriguez Cheryl Waity Chicago Chicago 2016 chicagoist Chicago Public Schools Chicago Sun-Times Chicago Tribune Copenhagen CPS CTA daley plaza DePaul DePaulia DePaul University education El Emily Torem espn Food Gapers Block Governor Pat Quinn Governor Quinn homeless Inspiration Cafe IOC Jake Scott Jessica Ernst journalism Katie Nelson Katie Rosebrock Kevin Dempsey LA times latino Lincoln Park Los Angeles Times Manuel Argueta MAP Grants media music NBA New York City NFL Nico Hagopian Northwestern University O'Hare Olympics pets Pilsen Post by Voice Radio DePaul RedEye Red Line Rio de Janeiro Sachi Yoshitsugu Sam Kraft social media sports sports journalism street vendors StreetWise Twitter Wicker Park windycitizen
- RT @spjonadepaul: Congrats to @redlineproject staff on their 2014 Mark of Excellence Award for Best Digital-Only Student Publication! http:… 3 hours ago
- RT @DNAinfoCHI: Zoning change sought for proposed Lakeview apartment building dnain.fo/1EJWUl4 http://t.co/a7d9QPmat0 1 day ago
- RT @HeatherCherone: 41st Ward runoff focuses on pension crisis and anger about jet noise dnainfo.com/chicago/201503… http://t.co/LXTNTnTQvD 1 day ago
- Congrats to the crew of The Red Line Project, #Lisagor award finalists for best community news site and best multimedia collaboration 2 days ago
- Chicago's Dumpster-Diving Treasures
- Pilsen Parish Finds Culture Integration Difficult
- Healy Balances Philanthropy by Day, Job by Night
- Slam Poetry: A Blue-Collar Chicago Movement
- NBC 5's Jiggetts Finds Stories on the Late Shift
- Chicago's Englewood Neighborhood on the Rise
- Night Crew Keeps O'Hare Runways Safe
Share This Page
Add This Practice
Share This Site
About This SiteThis is Mike Reilley's page. My other one is at The Red Line Project
Search This Site
- RT @WLKYAnnalysa: Thanks for arranging a great conference Robyn (@itsRobynwithay)! Great job. #SPJLou -ft.@EricBurse @ValerieChinn http://t… 49 minutes ago
- MT @spjonadepaul: Congrats to @redlineproject staff on their 2014 Mark of Excellence Award/Best Digital Publication! http://t.co/9QWWwNTi1z 3 hours ago
- Hey #ACES2015, be sure to use the copy editing resources on The Journalist's Toolbox: ow.ly/KVfU9 3 hours ago
WelcomeMy name is Mike Reilley and I'm posting to this blog for the Online Journalism I class that I'm teaching.
Welcome to My SiteMike Reilley teaches journalism at DePaul University. He posts stories and multimedia on this site to train his students.
Welcome to My SiteMy name is Mike Reilley and I blog about Chicago sports on this page. I'm a journalism instructor at DePaul University's College of Communication.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
WelcomeThe site covers news and urban issues in Chicago.
Tag Archives: Chicago Public Schools
Audio Slideshow: Follow the journey of these Chicago college hopefuls.
By Audrey Plank, Elizabeth Schuetz and Phillip Shilling
Despite 40 mph winds whistling outside, students from more than 80 Chicago-area high schools gathered on Oct. 26 to attend the Fourth annual Chicago Scholars Onsite Admissions Event at the UIC Forum.
While the morning was dark, dreary, and rainy, the atmosphere inside the UIC Forum was anything but. Amid interviews and introductions were cheers of joy and excitement as scholars gained admission and scholarships to national universities on the spot.
By Rachel Metea and Leena Saleh
Chicago Public Schools are taking a major hit in light of recent budget cuts. Schools are now facing the elimination of teachers, sophomore sports and school materials.
The proposed budget for the next year plans to cut $1.3 billion dollars in funding for education within the state of Illinois. In Chicago $368 million will be cut to the Chicago Public School system. Statewide, 30,000 teachers will be without jobs come September and in Chicago 2,700 teaching jobs have been eliminated.
At the same time, the CEO of Chicago Public Schools Ron Huberman awarded himself a $300,000 yearly pay increase as well as giving his administrative staff raises. Outlined in the budget, the top officials in each of the 53 departments within CPS as well as many of their assistants have received raises this year.
Since the Fall of 2004, the True Star Foundation has been working with Chicago youth to teach them skills in journalism, marketing and publishing. The nonprofit organization that provides a creative outlet in the form of literary and professional development programs for youth.
ChicagoStorytelling’s Stephanie Williams, Cicely Teal and Essence McDowell spent time with the students, True Star’s founders and others to see how the program is making a difference in the kids’ lives.