WelcomeChicagoStorytelling, produced by graduate and undergraduate students at DePaul University's College of Communication, focuses on urban issues, features and trends. It combines cross-platform storytelling with old-school, shoe-leather reporting. Also find us on:
COMING IN 2011
Chicago Sidelines, a website produced by DePaul's Online Sports Journalism class, launched in May 2011.
Tag Cloud2016 2016 Olympics Alexis Pelayo Ashley Boll Barack Obama BreakingTweets Caitlin Hacker Chicago Chicago 2016 chicagoist Chicago Public Schools Chicago Sun-Times Chicago Tribune Copenhagen CPS CTA daley plaza DePaul DePaulia espn Food homeless IOC Jake Scott Jessica Ernst journalism Kevin Dempsey latino Lincoln Park Manuel Argueta media music Olympics Pilsen Post by Voice Radio DePaul Red Line Rio de Janeiro Sachi Yoshitsugu Sam Kraft social media sports Twitter Wicker Park windycitizen
- “@SennettReport: Someone's going to win this thing with a field goal.” 6 hours ago
- “@rosalindrossi: Hailing a Cab: New taxi-calling system would be more reliable for disabled riders. bit.ly/144uuku” 7 hours ago
- Stories, video: #Rollerderby has deep #Chicago roots: ow.ly/m9i00 @windycityroller 7 hours ago
- @mikechamernik Terry Pluto's Loose Balls book is outstanding. Marvin Webster. Was hoping for a Pacers-Spurs ABA-NBA title game ... 11 hours ago
- Pilsen Parish Finds Culture Integration Difficult
- Chicago Cab Drivers Chase the American Dream
- True Star Program Gives Chicago Youth a Chance
- Chicago's Gold Coast a Hot Spot for Yogis
- Chicago Music Venues Metro and Subterranean Showcase Local and National Bands
- NBC 5's Jiggetts Finds Stories on the Late Shift
- Lisle's Sacred Heart Monastery Serves Community, Struggles to Survive
- Healy Balances Philanthropy by Day, Job by Night
- The Bike Lane Gives Chicago Cyclists New Services
Share This Page
Add This Practice
Share This Site
About This SiteThis is Mike Reilley's page. My other one is at The Red Line Project
Search This Site
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- “@sensei208: “@journtoolbox: Story,interactive timeline on growth, realignment of #NHL: ow.ly/lR1FD why the original 6 matters” 6 hours ago
- VIDEO: Some insight into how @journtoolbox uses #Twitter to share resources with you: ow.ly/m3nxO #vizify 7 hours ago
- Story and interactive timeline on growth and realignment of the #NHL: ow.ly/lR1FD #blackhawks 9 hours ago
WelcomeMy name is Mike Reilley and I'm posting to this blog for the Online Journalism I class that I'm teaching.
Tag Archives: Chicago Public Schools
Audio Slideshow: Follow the journey of these Chicago college hopefuls.
By Audrey Plank, Elizabeth Schuetz and Phillip Shilling
Despite 40 mph winds whistling outside, students from more than 80 Chicago-area high schools gathered on Oct. 26 to attend the Fourth annual Chicago Scholars Onsite Admissions Event at the UIC Forum.
While the morning was dark, dreary, and rainy, the atmosphere inside the UIC Forum was anything but. Amid interviews and introductions were cheers of joy and excitement as scholars gained admission and scholarships to national universities on the spot.
By Rachel Metea and Leena Saleh
Chicago Public Schools are taking a major hit in light of recent budget cuts. Schools are now facing the elimination of teachers, sophomore sports and school materials.
The proposed budget for the next year plans to cut $1.3 billion dollars in funding for education within the state of Illinois. In Chicago $368 million will be cut to the Chicago Public School system. Statewide, 30,000 teachers will be without jobs come September and in Chicago 2,700 teaching jobs have been eliminated.
At the same time, the CEO of Chicago Public Schools Ron Huberman awarded himself a $300,000 yearly pay increase as well as giving his administrative staff raises. Outlined in the budget, the top officials in each of the 53 departments within CPS as well as many of their assistants have received raises this year.
Since the Fall of 2004, the True Star Foundation has been working with Chicago youth to teach them skills in journalism, marketing and publishing. The nonprofit organization that provides a creative outlet in the form of literary and professional development programs for youth.
ChicagoStorytelling’s Stephanie Williams, Cicely Teal and Essence McDowell spent time with the students, True Star’s founders and others to see how the program is making a difference in the kids’ lives.