WelcomeThis is Mike Reilley's Online Journalism I website. Follow him on Twitter at @journtoolbox.
Tag Cloud2016 2016 Olympics Alexis Pelayo Ali Trumbull animals Ashley Boll Barack Obama basketball BreakingTweets Cafe Too Caitlin Hacker Camelia Rodriguez Catherine Durkin Cheryl Waity Chicago Chicago 2016 chicagoist Chicago Public Schools Chicago Sun-Times Chicago Tribune Copenhagen CPS CTA daley plaza DePaul DePaulia DePaul University El Emily Torem espn Food Gapers Block Governor Pat Quinn homeless Inspiration Cafe IOC Jake Scott Jessica Ernst journalism Katie Nelson Katie Rosebrock Kevin Dempsey LA times latino Lauren Howard Lincoln Park Los Angeles Times Manuel Argueta MAP Grants media music NBA New York City NFL Nico Hagopian Northwestern University O'Hare Olympics pets Pilsen Post by Voice Radio DePaul RedEye Red Line Rio de Janeiro Sachi Yoshitsugu Sam Kraft social media sports sports journalism street vendors StreetWise Twitter Wicker Park windycitizen
- Storify coverage of #Chicago shootings and homicides: Saturday morning update: redlineproject.org/gunviolencesto… 4 hours ago
- “@NancyLoo: Love the #ChicagoStandup campaign. More reason @JoakimNoah is my fave @ChicagoBulls. go.wgntv.com/WS4jjL via @WGNNews” 5 hours ago
- Summary of #Chicago homicides and #gunviolence this weekend: ow.ly/zBdSP ow.ly/i/6lWW8 6 hours ago
- “@thebookstall: Wilson/Broadway Red Line stop in Chicago circa 1955. http://t.co/KBvngZlkzF” 6 hours ago
- NBC 5's Jiggetts Finds Stories on the Late Shift
- Chicago's Dumpster-Diving Treasures
- Chicago Cab Drivers Chase the American Dream
- City's Newspaper Hawkers Try to Make Ends Meet
- Chicago's Overnight Radio: Who's Listening?
- Pilsen Parish Finds Culture Integration Difficult
- Felony Franks Gives Ex-Cons Second Chance
- Night Crew Keeps O'Hare Runways Safe
- Chicago Cop Striving to Take Next Step
- Pakistani-Americans Face Identity Crisis in Chicago
Share This Page
Add This Practice
Share This Site
About This SiteThis is Mike Reilley's page. My other one is at The Red Line Project
Search This Site
- Summary of #Chicago homicides and #gunviolence this weekend: ow.ly/zBdYC ow.ly/i/6lWW8 #storify 4 hours ago
- RT @robbmontgomery: Teach students to make great multimedia with smartphones. New textbook: j.mp/TheMOJOGuide @AEJMC 4 hours ago
- RT @welchsuggs: Tensions in the Press Box: research paper presented at #AEJMC2014 - Abstract: Sports journalists have long... http://t.co/1… 5 hours ago
WelcomeMy name is Mike Reilley and I'm posting to this blog for the Online Journalism I class that I'm teaching.
Welcome to My SiteMike Reilley teaches journalism at DePaul University. He posts stories and multimedia on this site to train his students.
Welcome to My SiteMy name is Mike Reilley and I blog about Chicago sports on this page. I'm a journalism instructor at DePaul University's College of Communication.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Tag Archives: Chicago Public Schools
Audio Slideshow: Follow the journey of these Chicago college hopefuls.
By Audrey Plank, Elizabeth Schuetz and Phillip Shilling
Despite 40 mph winds whistling outside, students from more than 80 Chicago-area high schools gathered on Oct. 26 to attend the Fourth annual Chicago Scholars Onsite Admissions Event at the UIC Forum.
While the morning was dark, dreary, and rainy, the atmosphere inside the UIC Forum was anything but. Amid interviews and introductions were cheers of joy and excitement as scholars gained admission and scholarships to national universities on the spot.
By Rachel Metea and Leena Saleh
Chicago Public Schools are taking a major hit in light of recent budget cuts. Schools are now facing the elimination of teachers, sophomore sports and school materials.
The proposed budget for the next year plans to cut $1.3 billion dollars in funding for education within the state of Illinois. In Chicago $368 million will be cut to the Chicago Public School system. Statewide, 30,000 teachers will be without jobs come September and in Chicago 2,700 teaching jobs have been eliminated.
At the same time, the CEO of Chicago Public Schools Ron Huberman awarded himself a $300,000 yearly pay increase as well as giving his administrative staff raises. Outlined in the budget, the top officials in each of the 53 departments within CPS as well as many of their assistants have received raises this year.
Since the Fall of 2004, the True Star Foundation has been working with Chicago youth to teach them skills in journalism, marketing and publishing. The nonprofit organization that provides a creative outlet in the form of literary and professional development programs for youth.
ChicagoStorytelling’s Stephanie Williams, Cicely Teal and Essence McDowell spent time with the students, True Star’s founders and others to see how the program is making a difference in the kids’ lives.